Friday, 24 September 2010

Interesting: UK Sixth Form College Bans the Veil

Well this is interesting. For non UK readers a sixth form college is the equivalent of grade 11-12 and the former OAC in Ontario. Students have to go a Sixth Form if they want to attend university.

Burnley College, in Lancashire, placed a notice from principal Hugh Bramwell at reception informing all students, staff and visitors they must remove items which cover their face on arrival.

Of greater interest is a quote which appears near the end of the article:
Last year the college, which describes itself as a provider of sixth form, university and adult education, turned away Shawana Bilqes, 19, when she tried to enroll.

Staff asked her to remove her burka - which covered everything but her eyes - for identity fraud purposes.

But she told them she could not because of her religious beliefs and was forced to abandon plans to sign up her course.

Shawana, from Burnley, Lancs, said: 'I am not surprised that the college has decided to ban veils completely after what happened to me.

'It is sad as it will force students to go elsewhere.'

The 19-year-old added: 'It is my choice to wear the veil.

'I live around the corner from the college in an area where there are so many practising Muslims. It was an ideal place for me to studyand that's why I chose it.

'I tried to compromise but the college wouldn't. They sent me a letter to say I could continue with my course if I stopped wearing the veil.

'We are in the 21st Century and we get people from all walks of life. I'm in the police cadets as well and yet it's not a problem wearing the veil there.'

Surrender.