Friday, 2 July 2010

4 Journalists File Complaints Against Toronto Police *Updated*

Of course they will be investigated fully blah blah blah.....

Despite the criticism I do have of the Toronto Police force's action/inaction over last weekend, I find it incredibly difficult to believe that not one, but a group of officers told a woman (reporter or otherwise) that they were going to gang-rape her. I know adrenaline runs high in certain situations, but for a group of men on the force to say something like this.............I just don't believe it. As for the strip search, if it did happen, this is not uncommon if you are going into a detention centre (as a detained person).

I have seen first hand at these types of events how "journalists" / activists cry "abuse" to gain attention and further their agenda, and just a few minutes of research will tell you that Amy Miller does have an agenda. And believe me, this story is all over the internet.

What would be interesting, is a report as to why she was arrested in the first place. As for the reporter that may or may not have been working for The Guardian (depending on who you ask), I think the physical nature of this 'arrest' means questions need to be asked - and obviously they will be since a complaint has been filed.

"But SMW, how can you say this when you were slamming the police for being rude to Kathy and BCF? You were complaining about the arrest of the "Guardian" reporter...."
Truly I do not care that an officer was "rude" to Kathy, and as far as the "Guardian" guy - I am curious about the physicality of it all. What I do care about is a police force that finds the time to "talk" to photographers and people passing by, but that does not contain crowds, stop people from smashing up storefronts, stop them from stealing, and then asks the public for tips to help catch those responsible. This does not exactly instill confidence.

Police jackassery, stupidity and complacency [which I think have been illustrated quite clearly in video footage from the weekend and which need to be investigated (as do the complaints mentioned in the Post's article) in order to maintain public confidence in the force] is quite a different matter from police brutality and the threat of sexual violence. If these allegations are true, the Toronto Police Force has more serious problems than I imagined. I could be wrong (I really hope I am not), but I believe that the Toronto Police Force is better than that.

UPDATE: Kathy has some interesting stuff up. Check it out.