Saturday, 10 October 2009

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving (and Thanksgiving Deliciousness)

This Monday is the Canadian Thanksgiving and I will be celebrating here in the UK with friends. My turkey is in the oven as I type. Often people ask me what is the difference between Canadian and American Thanksgiving? Well, when it comes to the actual celebrating there is not much of a difference - however the origins are a bit different. Canadian Thanksgiving is tied to the European tradition of celebrating harvest. In fact, Thanksgiving was celebrated in Canada long before Americans had their first Thanksgiving. You can read more about the differences here.

Below I am posting a recipe for a very traditional French-Canadian dessert - Tarte au Sucre. I made 4 of these last night (the recipe will make 4 pies so you may want to make only half). It is a very sweet dessert, usually served alone or with whipped cream....or ice cream.

I wish all my Canadian readers a fabulous long-weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving! Bonne fin de semaine de l'Action de Grâces!



Recipe:
Tarte au Sucre

4 cups of Brown Sugar
3 tbsp of Flour (all purpose)
10 tbsp butter (melted)
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups of Evaporated Milk
1 tsp vanilla
4 single crusts pie shells (uncooked)

Combine brown sugar and flour. Add milk, melted butter, eggs and vanilla. Mix well.

Pour into the pie crusts and cook at 350F for 30-35 minutes. Yummm.